Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Advice from Owlie

Advice from Owlie

Q: Dear Owlie, 
I replaced some of my landscape with water-wise, California native plants, but due to my budget, I had to keep a portion of my lawn.  Although I'm keeping some of my lawn, I would still like to use less water on my landscape overall.  What tips can I use on my lawn to help me save water?
Sincerely, 
                                                     Water-Wise Landscaper

A: Dear Water-Wise Landscaper
Thank you for your interest in water-saving solutions for your lawn.  The water-wise, California native plants you've planted will surely help you save water on your landscape.  Since you have to keep some of your lawn, one of the best things you can do to save water is to raise your lawnmower blades to 3" or more.  This height encourages grass roots to grow deeper and stronger, which can save you 16-50 gallons per day.  To learn more water-saving tips, visit www.ieua.org.

Best of luck to you and your water-saving landscape, 
Owlie